Saturday, January 11, 2014

noGRAINola Recipe and Why I Don't Make New Year's Resolutions



Yes, I'll make a resolution
That I'll never make another one
Just enjoy this ride on my trip around the sun.
Just enjoy this ride ...
Until it's done- Jimmy Buffett
 
 
 
 
But that doesn't mean that I don't look forward to the New Year and Fresh Starts and whatever is next on the horizon.  I just don't automatically set myself up to fail by making promises on January 1st.  I wait until, um I dunno, later.  Like last year, on October 24th, I promised to write in my blog for 30 consecutive days.  That didn't happen, so I won't promise to write any number of times per week, month, year, or decade ever again.  I have a habit of taking on more than I can handle.  That and being plain stubborn are my two worst habits.  I also hate failure, but I am good at it. 
I am making an effort to take on smaller projects.  And I always learn from failing.  I have no idea what to do about being stubborn.
 
 
I do want to keep doing lots of the good stuff that Hubs and I started last year and the year before.  Like CrossFit and eating Paleo.  The rewards just keep adding up and it has just become a good habit.  (Oy, to think of all the bad habits I've had...now I am stuck with actual good ones!)  We both keep getting leaner and that is just so awesome.  Here's an example...I have a nasty scar on my lower abdomen.  It's a five inch long (yes I measured it), really ugly thing from the hysterectomy that I had back in 1998.  There's always been pudge above and below it, I assumed because of lymphatic drainage or just 'cos it's a big wonkin' scar.  Well, the pudge is going away; lo and behold, I have pelvic bones that are actully poking out.  How freakin' cool is that?
 
(Probably TMI, I know. Sorry.) (More TMI, that's not actually the ugliest scar, it was just the one with the most fat around it; there are about six more bad ones from biopsies, skin cancer, etc. but what the heck.  I am here, alive and very, very well.)
 
Being well is really the name of the game and I really have to hand it to this Paleo stuff for getting me there.  So if I did make a resolution, er...well I won't.  But I will make a solemn vow to try and spread the word and help folks in any way I can.  How 'bout that?  I believe that will be an easy follow through because I am living what I believe.  We are lucky to belong to a circle of friends who are genuinely curious about better health.  We get lots of questions about the Paleo Lifestyle and it is fun and gratifying to be able to answer them or at least point to the direction on how to find out.
 
And I will never fake perfection.  (Just hope not to make so many mistakes.)
 
 
So, Happy New Year.  I think it's off to a great start!
 
And to start a morning off...here's a fun recipe for a noGRAINola thing for breakfast.  I can't believe that we ever get tired of all the things you can do with eggs and bacon, but we had this the other moring and it was very filling.  I had been looking at some Paleo granola bags and thought I'd just try to figure it out from scratch...and it tasted really good.  (Hubs added an avocado on the side, though, just 'cos he loves 'em so much.)

noGRAINola

 
Thoughts on this recipe...
 
I used raw almonds, pecans, and walnuts...then we decided that cashews might have been a better choice than the walnuts.
 
*I think one of my handfuls is about 1/3 cup...this recipe makes enough for 2 servings.
 
Ingredients:
 
3 handfuls* of your favorite nuts
 
1 handful* unsweetened coconut flakes
 
6 dates
 
1 tablespoon coconut oil
 
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
 
pinch of salt
 
berries of your choice (optional)
 
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (optional)
 
Use your toaster oven (if you have one) preheated to 350 degrees.
 
  • Mix the nuts and coconut flakes together on a parchment lined baking sheet; toast them together in the oven for about 5 or 6 minutes, watching carefully that nothing burns.
  • Pour the toasty mixture onto your cutting board and combine with the dates by chopping them altogether.
  • Scrape the dates and nuts into a mixing bowl and stir together with the coconut oil, cinnamon and salt.
  • Spoon into bowls, top with some berries,and drizzle on some coconut milk.


Enjoy and take good care, k.




No comments:

Post a Comment